Cooking can be really fun and besides being therapeutic, it is always a good way of controlling our diet, of what goes into our food and body. With signs of ageing catching up and a fast-becoming unhealthy work-life balance I am falling into this year, it is time for a much-needed change in eating habits.
And coincidentally, I managed to get my hands on a local cookbook featuring a series of healthy recipes, just in time to put my daily meal plan in check. This Healing Recipes for the Heart, Liver, Spleen, Lungs, and Kidneys 《食尽天下 6:调补心肝脾肺肾的家常菜》is the sixth installation from the Best of the Best series cookbook. In this sixth edition, the book targets your five major organs with recipes that seek to provide a nourishing and healing effect.
With a simple step-by-step bilingual guide of over 30 healing recipes, even someone like me who don’t cook often could navigate through the steps without much problem. And I have my sights set on some interesting/ delicious-sounding dishes such as the comforting Abalone Chicken Porridge, Parchment Baked Salmon with Asparagus, Stir Fried Choy Sum with Eight Treasures and not forgetting desserts like the Fresh Yam and Purple Sweet Potato Pudding.
So, I have also decided to replicate one of the dishes which is the Thousand-Layer Cabbage and Meat Slices Wrap based on the cookbook. In my version of the Healthy Thousand-Layer Cabbage, I replace the meat with more vegetables.
The steps are very easy to follow and I can also improvise with new ingredients added into my dish too.
1 round cabbage (torn apart)
A bundle of spinach
Spicy Korean Sauce (Any sauce for personal preference)
- Chop spinach and onion into small pieces
- Shred the carrots into thin slices
- Mix the above ingredients together in a mixing bowl
- Add two eggs into the mixing bowl
- Mix the ingredients evenly
- Lay a piece of lettuce into a microwave-able bowl
- Spread the mixture over the lettuce leaf
- Repeat ingredient arrangement step 6 and 7 (until 6th leaf is placed on top)
- Steam the ingredients in microwave at high heat for 15 to 20 minutes
- Slice steamed Thousand-layer Cabbage into half and transfer to a plate
- Pour spicy Korean sauce over the Thousand-layer Cabbage
I could taste the juiciness within the layers! While the outside might seem a bit dry if you microwave for longer time period, it actually doesn’t taste that dry once you take a bite into it. You might want to boil the individual ingredients first before laying them together and then steam. This would also ensure that the moisture within is retained.
Other ways of cooking this could be frying it on a non-stick pan which allows you to use less or no oil while cooking. You might want to season with some salt and pepper instead!
Healthy and tastes yummy!
Best of the Best 6 – Healing Recipes for the Heart, Liver, Spleen, Lungs, and Kidneys
Available in all POPULAR Bookstores islandwide
Selling at $3 (usual $9)
Purchase with Purchase programme:
For every purchase of the “Best of the Best 6” Cookbook, you can also bring home:
- A packet of Mak Nyonya Instant Chicken Curry Sauce for just $2 (UP: S$2.50)
- FREE $4 Discount Voucher for 3M Scotch Brite Mega Value Pack Scrub Sponge
- 2 FREE $3 Discount Voucher for Seashore products